Guten Tag!
For the past week or so I have been living and learning in McLeod Ganj, the town above Dharmsala, which is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh. This is where the Tibetan government lives in exile and there is a large community of Tibetan refugees. Many organizations here help raise awareness about Tibet and support the Tibetan people in many different ways. I attended some great events available here including the movies Undercover in Tibet and Kundun, which I highly recommend. I also have been fortunate enough to hear the stories of ex-political prisoners from Tibet and other presentations on the past and present conflict between Tibet and China.
I have been living in the dormitory of Hotel Ladies Venture, which has provided me with the chance to meet many people from around the world who are traveling in India. Together we have had lots of memorable adventures and experiences in this small town. During the SIT semester we did not have many opportunities to interact and meet other people traveling through India, but here I was able to meet people from all walks of life and many different countries. Although unexpected, I thoroughly enjoyed the different environment that McLeod Ganj offered and all of the people I was able to spend time with. I am learning that traveling outside of school and independently opens up many new experiences and rewarding adventures.
During the past weekend the Dalai Lama was offering teachings for students in the Tibetan Children's Village (TCV), and the event was also open for anyone to listen to the lecture translation through a radio on the TCV campus. So a few of my friends from the dormitory and I woke up very early and walked to the school in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the Dalai Lama as he entered to present his teachings. We were lucky enough to see his Holiness enter the school on the 2nd and 3rd day of the teachings. This moment is something I will never forget, as we stood in the crowd with many Tibetans and watched the welcoming ceremony. As the women sing a beautiful song, everyone in the crowd is brought to tears as the 14th Dalai Lama walks up the steps to the school entrance. It was emotional for me to be in the presence of such a great leader, role model, and so much more. He represents so much to the people of Tibet, and it was also rewarding to listen to his teachings on Buddhism.
Today I will leave McLeod Ganj and make my two day trip into the foothills of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand. I feel refreshed and relaxed after my experiences here, and I look forward to the next adventure. After a month at a rural organization in Uttarakhand called ROSE, I will make my way back to Delhi and head home on the 17th of July. I know the time I have left in India will move quickly, and I hope to make the best of it. I am also really looking forward to spending the second half of my summer at home.
Thank you to everyone I met and was able to share so many fun moments with in McLeod Ganj.
I will be thinking of all of you as we continue our travels.
All the best,
Taylor
 |
| One of the many events held in McLeod Ganj to learn about and support Tibet. |
 |
| In the main temple of McLeod Ganj people walk around in a clockwise circle spinning the prayer wheels. |
 |
| My friend Jake during our hike to a waterfall. One of the many spots that are strung with prayer flags. |
 |
| Preparations for the Dali Lama's entrance to the Tibetan Children's Village in McLeod Ganj. |
 |
| The crowd anxiously awaits the arrival of the 14th Dalai Lama. |
 |
A beautiful water fall fed from the snow melt of the Himalayas. Some of my friends dared to take a dip in the ice cold water and we made tea! |
 |
| The sunset as we hiked back from the waterfall in Dharmkot. |
 |
| A yummy Japanese dinner on our last night in McLeod Ganj with all of the great people met! |
No comments:
Post a Comment